We’ve had nearly three weeks of rehearsals for Michael Morpurgo’s King Arthur and it looks like it’s going to be a really exciting, sometimes funny, sometimes moving show telling the story of the rise and fall of Camelot.
You won’t find any spoilers here – but it’s not spoiling anything to say that the cast of seven have clicked together and it’s like they’ve known each other for their whole careers. Most of them met for the first time at the photoshoot for the show back in April.
It’s been a joy watching all the ideas tumbling from all of the cast, directors, designers, stage manager and, of course, our fabulous composer George Jennings.
The second week of rehearsals started with two days of fighting with Paul Benzing, one of the country’s top fight directors. He’s worked on so many huge shows over many years and last week was at the National Theatre, where he has directed more fights than anyone can number. So lots of sword-play, quarterstaffs-bashing and good old fashioned fisticuffs are being sorted in our rural rehearsal room. We hope the locals aren’t frightened by the blood-curdling cries and clashing of swords.
In two days, we will have finished rehearsing, travelled to Edinburgh, settled into our home for the month and be preparing for our first performance, the World Premiere of King Arthur on August 3. That’s a tiny bit scary.
What is more scary, is that we will be preparing to open three other shows on the same day – two of them at the same time! Our festival starts each day at 11.15am with A Pocketful of Grimms which was a hit last year and returns to Gilded Balloon. Then, at 12.40pm our bonkers clowning show Storyteller, Storyteller takes to the stage. At 2.30pm our brand new show, Pub Quiz for Kids with Patrick Monahan provides an hour of barmy brilliance, lots of laughs and a little bit of knowledge. Finally, at 2.45pm King Arthur begins. It’ll all be over by 4pm-ish and then it’s off to take part in the World Leaflet Distribution Championships being played in Edinburgh throughout August.
So if you’re in Edinburgh for the festival, come and find us in the High Street, say hello and ask how you can get tickets for our shows. Or you could look up this link for Gilded Balloon http://gildedballoon.co.uk/tickets/ , find our shows and book online.
Story Pocket facts:
- This will be Story Pocket Theatre’s third year at the Fringe
- We have won two awards (Primary Times Children’s Choice 2014, ThreeWeeks Editors’ Choice, 2015)
- We will have 11 performers in four shows
- They will play more than 40 different characters
- One of our actors starred in Braveheart with Mel Gibson
- One has appeared in Game of Thrones
- One has been in War Horse
- Two have starred in TV blockbusters with Keira Knightley
- Five appear in two Story Pocket shows at this year’s Fringe
- One has released a DVD of his stand-up show (Patrick Monahan)
- One of the company has appeared in, written, directed or produced more than 20 shows at the Edinburgh Fringe
- We will hand out nearly 20,000 booklets and put up more than 1,000 posters during August
- We will sleep for much of September!